SSL VPN Client Download
To access the SSL VPN, users need to be able to download the VPN client on any machine from anywhere on the Internet. SSL VPN utilizes a Java based client installer, allowing your users to connect from any modern PC with a web browser, including Windows, Mac OS, and Linux operating systems. For clients on other operating systems or when you wish to use a third-party OpenVPN compatible client, manual certificate installation is also possible.
eSoft offers SSL VPN on both virtual and hardware based appliances. You can download our Virtual Appliance as an alternative to our existing hardware based appliance. This article assumes that SSL VPN has been enabled and configured on your unit and you have given users permission to access the VPN. For assistance in setting up SSL VPN, please refer to the article below.
**ATTENTION MACINTOSH OS USERS!**
The SSL VPN Client is only compatible with Macintosh OS version 10.5 or higher. If you are running a lower version of the Macintosh OS, the VPN Client will not connect.
You can access the SSL VPN user interface via two methods.
You can access the SSL VPN from the UserAdmin page. This is accessed by going to https://[ipaddress]:8001/UserAdmin. Once there the user will need to login with the username and password assigned to them on the unit.
***NOTE: In order to access the UserAdmin pages, remote support must be enabled on the InstaGate device.***
- You can also access the SSL VPN by accessing the Public IP address of the unit on the port specified in the SSL VPN Setup. Once there the user will need to login with the username and password assigned to them on the unit.
From the user Interface you can download either the VPN Client or Launcher for use on your remote computer.
From the menu on the left select SSL VPN.
The unit will do a check on your system to verify the Operating System and the presence of the Java Runtime Environment(JRE).
If JRE is not installed you will get an option to download and install it. You cannot download the client from UserAdmin until JRE is installed on the computer.
After the computer passes the checks, click the Download button.
- Click Save File. Run the Installer on your computer to install the eSoft VPN Launcher.
All first time users must install Java Runtime Environment on the computer before they have access to the download links.
User must have Remote Access(VPN) enabled on their account to use SSL VPN.
If downloading from the Admin Web Interface, make sure the correct user and Operating system are selected before downloading the client.
User must have administrative privilege on the computer
- Windows XP and older : User must be an administrator
- Windows Vista and Windows 7 : Handled by User Account Control
Mac OS and Linux ; User must have sudo access
When using Internet Explorer with the ActiveX control :
- ActiveX requires Visual C++ 2008. This is included in Windows 7 and is installed in SP3 for Windows XP
ActiveX uses TCP port 9000. Make sure no firewall or security software is blocking the port.
Windows 64-bit computers may have to install the 32-bit JRE if the Java Client isn't working.
- If you minimize the Java client window in Mac OS there is no way to restore it, however you can still control it via the system tray icon.
- If you are having trouble installing or running the VPN client, you may need to uninstall and then re-install manually. On the SSL VPN page in UserAdmin, use the Download the Windows VPN Client link. Note that this is a blank VPN Client and you will need to download the user configuration file from the Admin Interface manually.